Sunday, June 19, 2005

Home, Again, Finally.

I'm home. I've been here for about 3 hours. I'm exhausted. I slept in a different bed every night of my trip and I'm worse for the wear... ha ha...

The day we went to visit my grandfather was moved from the hospital to a "Step down" program on the nursing home floor of another hospital. Despite having fallen a few days prior and having a nasty bruise on his cheek (you should see the other guy - that floor must have taken a real beating!), he looked better than the last time I saw him (his blood was very low a month ago). We took my grandmother over to the hospital with us and helped to "settle him in" as best we could. Andrew brought in his computer and we showed Gramps all the photos that were on there. And I had some photos of my friend's horse, so I left a couple of them for him, since he always loved horses. I've got to get some other photos taken and send them to him for his room... He wanted to come home with us, but we had to tell him that he couldn't. That's not a fun thing to do!

When we were leaving, Andrew went out to get the car while Grammy and I waited in the entrance of the hospital. There were quite a few little ones running around the first floor emergency clinic. I pointed one out to Grammy and said, "Look at him, Gram. He's just new and starting out." She smiled at the little boy and agreed with me. Children are so much more precious when you see them in comparison to people whose time on this earth has been long.

Andrew and I took Grammy back to her house and dropped her off. I walked her to the door and gave her a big hug. I felt as if I was witnessing the start of a new chapter in her life. My grandparents have been married for 67 or 68 years. After all these years of rolling her eyes at my grandfather and his shenanigans, she's got the house to herself during the day (my brother stays with her, phew). I can't imagine how strange that must be.

Thanks everyone for your well wishes about my trip home. I had a good visit with my grandparents and I'm really glad I went. I'll be going home again in a couple of weeks, so I'll get to see Gramps again.

(Oh, and just in case you're wondering - Grammy is still giggling over "At Knit's End". I think the Harlot has a new fan in the 85-90 bracket!)

Now, all you NYC knitters - Andrew will be in NYC tomorrow and Tuesday doing some musical, uh, retrieval, (long story)... two questions:
1. What's the weather like ('cause it's been cold here)?
2. If I get the address of the place he's going, can you tell me the name of the closest yarn shop? (If he has more than two seconds to breathe while he's there)


  1. NYC? Now come you don't get to go? I didn't get to go either.. that isn't fair.....

  2. The weather has been 70's (25C?) and breezy the last couple of days, but is supposed to get up to the 80's (30C?) Mon and Tues and continue hotter as the week progresses. I'd recommend layers that he can add or remove as needed. Hope that helps and that he has time to hit a yarn shop for you.

  3. My father has been sick and Friday I'm going to see him in his step down facility also. He doesn't sound too happy on the phone-I'm hoping against hope that he's home by Friday. Glad your trip went well. Jane

  4. What Tish said, about the weather. If you want yarn store info/locations, email me and I'll try to help.

  5. I miss NY!

    If he gets to go to a yarn shop, have him take pics so I can live vicariously.

    Glad your trip home went well.

  6. Oh man, that is so hard... We had to put our grandmother in a nursing home and it sucked.

    Glad you got to spend some time with your grandparents though...

  7. Glad your trip home went well, I hate that everyone we love gets older. Can't we all just reach our perfect age and stay there forever? *sigh*